Monday, May 11, 2009

Birthday Surprises


Wow! What a birthday! Last year I saw the big 6-0 pass by and my friends and relatives celebrated by throwing a big party for me. This year was a different celebration entirely. It was a bit surreal to be birthday-ing in Mexico but I managed to get used to the idea. Patty got a room in a hotel for a couple nights to give Chris & I some time alone as well as springing for me to get a manicure and pedicure (a luxury I have not had since San Francisco). Chris had been telling me for days that he wanted to go “shopping” for my birthday but was mumm about what he wanted to purchase. I rarely shop anymore as living on a boat means there is not much room to put “things” and clothing is limited to swimsuits, shorts and the occasional sundress. Finally, over lunch at Rancho Viejo (which has world class Arrachara beef tacos) he spilled the beans and said he’d been planning to buy me some jewelry…however…he was re-thinking that and wanted to know my feeling about the options. Our friends, Dietmar & Suzanne, sailed their 44’ catamaran to the Marquesas this year and had just emailed to invite us to join them in Tahiti for 3 months of sailing the South Pacific islands with them. How would I feel about him paying for my airfare for that trip instead of buying something sparkly? I couldn’t say yes fast enough! So…July 21st we fly to Papeete for the next great adventure. We are very excited. I have always wanted to sail in the South Pacific so this opportunity is like a dream come true. And when we come back…we have another season of cruising Mexico to look forward to. Life is very good these days!

2 comments:

Rolande & Angus said...

Wow! Sandy, That man knows how to plan a good surprise. Cruising in the south Pacific is a good one!
Happy belated birthday.
We are anchored in Coyote bay in the bay of Conception. Plan to leave in 2 days for Chivetos. I think you are nearby????
Hope to see you.
Rolande & Angus

Merry Lee said...

Hi, you are hopefully on your way but I had to tell someone that the French Legislature substituted a airline ticket for a Celibacy document in mid April so maybe you can get married in Tahiti. They are trying to encourage marriage tours to Tahiti to improve the ecomomy.They think that the new law will increase the number of tourists by 10 %. That's a lot of weddings. Felicitations ( My 7th grade teacher taught me that word).
Hope you have a great trip and give FUFM a big hug from us. Just got our insurance for Mexico.
Lewis and Mary Lee