Thursday, September 20, 2012

Movies, Movies and More Movies



Today was a fairly quiet day for me. I made the beds. I baked some cookies. I did my email. I played a little Wii. I picked up a prescription. I bought a dozen eggs, a birthday card and two new pillows. 

Chris, on the other hand, seems to have had quite the adventure.

I shall preface this by stating that yesterday I popped into a previously unexplored store named Buybacks. This is likely the only remaining CD/DVD/VHF re-seller in the entire city. I had passed the place numerous times and thought of checking it out but never seemed to have the time. Yesterday, I made it my mission to go there to see what they had. The movie section was huge and almost all were priced at $3.99. Furthermore, there was a “buy 3 get 1 free” sale going on. I came home with 4 movies from my “want to watch” list. Since we spend our winters in Mexico we miss the new movies that come out over the holidays and buy them during the summer for viewing the following winter. Still, our preferred activities trend more toward reading than watching and with power being at a premium (unless we are at a dock) the number of movies we actually is probably less than half dozen a month. 

Here, in the house, we do not have cable or satellite, although we do have a 55” television. Our average viewing time is about 12-15 hours week and since our antenna allows us to watch ABC, NBC and CBS it hardly seems reasonable to spend $50 or more each month for 100 or so channels that we wouldn’t be likely to watch anyway. Especially when you take into account that 99% of what is on the air is just plain garbage. So, that said, on with my story.
As I said previously, yesterday I brought home 4 used movies.

When I told Chris about the Buybacks store and their sale, he decided that he needed to go check it out. So, while I was doing chores and running errands today, Chris was perusing the inventory at Buybacks. He apparently has, unbeknownst to me, developed a bit of a fetish for DVD’s. Or…he wants to open his own used movie shop. By the time I returned home Chris had left to go and babysit our new grandson and his purchases were on the dining room table. Presumably to thrill and delight me when I arrived. As the kids are wont to say, “OMG”! He purchased 37 movies, 2 seasons of Big Bang Theory, 4 Wii games and a 5 disc set of The Blue Planet. To say that I was overwhelmed is an understatement of the highest order.
If you harken back two paragraphs, you will see that I said we usually watch maybe 1 or 2 movies a week. That, actually, is on the high side. This winter we will be RV’ing around the U.S. and one would expect that we will have cable TV available pretty much every night. Who knows when we will fit all these films in? 

Well, at least he didn’t find the music section.

No comments: