Wednesday, April 6, 2011

More on Mexico's Healthcare

Yesterday was the big day! Chris got his stitches out and the doctor gave him some exercises to do and told him he can start walking without his crutches. Last night we walked over to "Rosebud" for a wonderful dinner of Mushroom Soup and Spinach Crepes (all very, very yummy). He is still moving pretty slowly but getting better every day and he thinks that he will be crawling around in the engine room next week. The biggest issue is that the muscles around his knee have atrophied because he favored it for so long. Still...the doctor says they aren't that bad and will eventually return to normal. All in all the surgery and medical care around it has been excellent.

While Chris was at his appointment I took advantage of the very affordable mammograms available here. Last summer I couldn't afford the $360 the radiologist in the States wanted but the cost here is just $54 USD. The lab is as modern and well equipped as any back home. The staff was wonderful. And...they did a complimentary ultrasound in addition to the mammogram. Today I'll pick up a copy of the results to send off to my doctor back home. FYI: They said all is fine.

The only problem I had was that I STILL need to learn more Spanish. The receptionist spoke English but no one else did.

2 comments:

John and Rosie said...

Sandy, Glad all is well health wise. About the Spanish.....I still struggle and wish I had "studied" more. The further you get down south, the more you need it. And, also some of the words & expressions are different! I can get my point across but wish it came more naturally..... Oh, and I always enjoy your blog.

cheekydragon said...

Oh I love what you doing.... I wish if I had your courage too.... Have fun!!!!