Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Spanish Lessons

I am sooooo excited! I started a Spanish class yesterday and am finally learning how to actually make sentences!
I have been doing the Rosetta Stone thing for two years now and, between that and my "esposo" and just plain paying attention I've learned a lot of words. Words are helpful but, unfortunately, they do not conveniently place themselves at your disposal when you need them and they especially do not put themselves into proper sentences so that people can get a clue about what you are attempting to tell (or ask) them.
Since Chris speaks fluent Spanish he has become a very convenient crutch for me. Any time I don't understand what someone is trying to tell me he is there to interpret. Nice to know I have the help but not terribly conducive to actually l-e-a-r-n-i-n-g the language.
Philo's (one of the cruiser "hang outs" in La Cruz) has a language teacher (who speaks multiple languages) who gives Spanish lessons for a minimal donation to his charity fund. Philo is a huge philanthropist and has a great fund that he uses to help the needy in this community (and there are many). Andrea has many years experience in teaching languages but donates her time in exchange for a 50 peso donation (about $4 US) per class to Philo's fund as a way of giving back to the community she lives in as well. It is a win win for everyone.
So...just in the first class I learned all sorts of things I didn't know, not the least of which is how to correctly say "Hello" (it is different depending on the time of day and who you are talking to) "My name is..." and "good bye" (again...not just adios). I am so excited to think that MAYBE one of these days soon I will be able to have a real conversation with one of the people I say "hola" to every day and we will be able to actually understand each other.

No comments: