Monday, April 19, 2010

Being A Girl


I know, I know! It has been a loooong time since my last blog post. Somehow our lifestyle seems to have become not much different from the way people who live on dirt spend their days. Of course, if we decide we don't like the neighborhood or the weather is getting too cold or we'd like a better view or need some seclusion or, conversely, shopping opportunities, all we have to do is raise the anchor (or untie the dock lines) and leave. We have the option of moving and taking the whole house with us! No boxes to pack. No trips to Goodwill. No realtors to hire. So, even with all the travel options, life has settled down into a somewhat humdrum situation at the moment. That means I am scratching the inside of my head for ideas on what to write about that might possibly be of interest to "my readers"! So here's something a little different (I hope)...some of the challenges of "being a girl" when cruising.
Make up: Doesn't work! First of all, your world is usually moving so applying makeup is a bit like painting modern art. I have gone from being a girl who didn't leave the house without mascara and eye liner to "Well...if it is a really special occasion I'd better put on some lipstick."
Haircuts: Hah!! Since we have a very mobile lifestyle and are never in the same place from one haircut to the next it is not possible to develop a "relationship" with a hairdresser. Therefore, one can never be sure what the hair will look like after a cut. Add to that the language barrier and you may be able to begin to see the problem. I have finally learned how to say (in Spanish), "Cut it the same only shorter" but, somehow, the hairdressers never seem to get the "er" in shorter! It has become enough of a problem that I wait until my hair is hanging halfway over my ears before I can get up the nerve to try one more time to find someone who might be able to understand what I want.
Hair color: Well...now this is a subject for the ages! A lot of the cruiser women have totally given up and let their hair go "natural" (meaning gray) but that is the one concession I have been particularly stubborn about making. I t-r-y to be somewhere with restrooms about once a month so I can get the Lady Clairol out and brighten things up a bit but it doesn't always work. My last "touch up" was in La Cruz and mi esposo was making comments like, "you should see the 'interesting' combination of colors in your hair" when looking at the back of my head. Harumph!!
Manicure/pedicure: Dream on.
Dressing up: One of my favorite things about being a single woman of means - back when I lived on land - was the fun of getting all dressed up in slinky, shimmery dresses, spiky CFM heels and dangling, sparkly jewelry for an evening out on the town. The best I can do now is a sundress that says "Mazatlan" on the front and flip flops with a little bling on the straps. I still have some great dresses and a couple pair of sexy shoes but they are currently residing in a Tupperware bin in the storage unit back in Washington.
Shopping: As we all know, shopping is the first right of all women. Unfortunately, living in a space that is roughly the size of a walk in closet means "real" shopping is out of the question. I have learned to turn "provisioning" into an art form and I still maintain a library of about 100 books on board but trinkets, knick knacks and what nots are definitely out. Any cutesy things to decorate the table with must be carefully packed away somewhere whenever we decide to go somewhere new.
Still, even with the "sacrifices", life is good. Sunsets and sunrises on the ocean (or the Sea)...long white sand beaches...swaying palm trees...turquoise water...being the only boat in the anchorage...a full moon on a calm night passage..."plans" that can be changed at the last minute if something more interesting comes up...good friends...good wine...a good husband.
When I receive one of those chain emails telling me to pass it along and make a wish it dies in my in box. I can think of nothing to wish for that I do not already have.

2 comments:

beisbolfan2007 said...

It sure sounds like the tradeoffs are worth it! I could go for the no makeup thing, but I do love pedicures, especially when it's perpetually flip-flop season. Hope to see you both when you come through Tucson!

Fouche said...

I found your blog throught the Oregon Women's Sailing Association and am absolutely enamoured with your adventures! My husband and I have set a goal of pulling up stakes and doing the exact same thing in 2 years. How nice to find someone who has gone before to learn from!

Robin