Saturday, November 7, 2009

Philosophizin'


The community of the world.

This post was written back in June when I first returned from my first season of cruising Mexico. I am just now getting around to using it.

Death is out and about of late. None of his usual lurking behind closed doors and hiding in the nooks and crannies of my mind. These last couple weeks he has been right out front in his finest daywear reminding me that time is fleeting for us all. While I’ve been away all winter I have received missives from numerous friends and relatives who have seen him up close and personal. While I have been affected by the news, the physical distance between usseems to have blunted the impact so that for me it was a rather dull feeling of distress. Upon my return I’ve been faced with several instances that have rather hit me upside the head with the realization that Death is “alive and well” and happily gathering those he wishes to his bosom. Those who have, clearly, not much time left in this life, appear in my thoughts a great deal. I find myself worrying about them struggling for breath and facing the inevitable. Ready or not, Death takes you when he wishes. I do not know how much time I have left in this incarnation but my gratitude for the way in which I have been able to live is beyond measure. It is unusual (at best) to be able to actually “live ones dreams” but that is exactly the gift I have been given. I have been told that this was because I worked and planned everything and while that is, indeed, a part of the answer, I am happy to report that I have also been pushed, prodded, handed opportunities, given obvious choices and occasionally slapped silly (figuratively) by a force much larger than I. God has received very little credit in this whole process but he/she has been quite clearly behind the whole plan. Whenever I leave port I humbly request guidance and protection for the upcoming journey. When at sea in uncomfortable conditions I am sometimes afraid (as all mortals are) but I am never alone. The world is there to enjoy. The gift is life. It is up to each of us to choose how we will use it.




1 comment:

ivegotissues said...

thanks for sharing your thoughts. well put. the gift truly is life.