Saturday, March 7, 2009

Jumping the "Puddle"


The flurry of activity here in La Cruz is the result of many things but the most frantic are those who are preparing to leave for the South Pacific. Just hearing the mention of the area is enough to send shivers up my spine and set me into fits of daydreaming. Since I first learned to sail it has been a constant dream of mine to visit the islands of French Polynesia, Vanuatu, Tonga and so many more. These, then, are not just the dreams of men but of sailing women as well. My mind conjures up pictures of beautiful, deserted beaches, water the color of aquamarine, friendly and welcoming people, the scent of exotic flowers and the taste of sweet, juicy fruit fresh off the tree. Hawaii without the tourists.

Just walking the dock where many of the Puddle Jumpers are moored can raise my adrenalin level to a near critical state. They are all frantically checking every part of their boats from the top of the mast to the bottom of the keel, repairing or replacing anything not up to snuff, adding new equipment, pouring over charts, plotting a course and filling every available space with food, spare parts, tools and water toys. The excitement is contagious and even seeing the extent of their exhaustion at the end of yet another 16 hour day does not diminish the shine in their eyes when they begin to talk of their upcoming passages. The names roll of their tongues as if they are honey-coated: the Marquesas, the Tuomotos, Tahiti, Bora Bora, the Cook Islands, Tonga, Fiji, the Solomons and on and on. Some have been planning this journey for many years. Others decided within the last few months that it was time to go. They all share the same steep learning curve, the anxiety of month-long passages, the concern about their readiness and the excitement of an incredible adventure.

I have met and become friends with many of the Puddle Jumpers over the last few months and while I’m very excited for them, I will miss them terribly and wonder what the chances are that I will ever see them again. It feels a little like a small child watching their big sister go away to college.

This year is my first year of cruising. Even though I always wanted to “sail off into the sunset” I still have to pinch myself from time to time when I realize I really am on my own boat in Mexico. I was never actually convinced that the dream would become a reality and the day we cast off the docklines in Portland it still didn’t seem real. Everywhere we go now is a new experience. A new beach, a different community, another beautiful destination from which to watch the sunset. Mexico is a wonderful place with amazingly diverse destinations and I believe we could spend years here just exploring and re-visiting favorite places. I do, however, still hear the call of exotic ports of call. Who knows…maybe next year…….

3 comments:

john said...

hello from the middle of Alaska on a cold march. I am John. Married three kids two grown one a senior next year. Sitting here amongst a pile of cruising world mags and sailing books I stumbled across your blog. It is great to read about some folks who has broken out of the harness. Where to next on your adventures? I read your posting on boat maintenance. Certaintly enough to keep you busy, so much to learn. I've not posted a comment on a blog before. I hope I am doing this correctly. Hope this finds you and yours well! John

Sandy said...

John,
Thanks for the nice comments. Good to know people are reading and enjoying the blog.
Sandy

Anonymous said...

Hey Sandy and Chris!

Thanks for the emails and posts on your blog! We love reading them. You've got a nice style of writing. And how's the foot? We're still on schedule to leave our slip this summer and head on down, and it would be great to see you again! Keep up the fun posts!
:) Cynthia and Butch