Friday, January 16, 2009

Mexican Health Care


Just last night I was commenting to some friends about a story I read in Philo’s Notes concerning a non-Mexican couple who were involved in a bad auto accident. The man was killed and his wife seriously injured. At first it was thought both her legs would need amputation but she was taken to Tepic and that was not necessary. She does not have medical insurance and her bills have topped $25,000 so a fund raiser is being held by the cruising community to help. We discussed the fact that in the U.S. her bills would be well into the six figure range.

Today I learned first hand about the Mexican medical system and the generosity of the local people.

Our original plan was to remove the two dead batteries we had on board, haul them by water taxi and then cab to Melaque and pick up the 2 new ones we had ordered. Jim, from “Murray Grey” helped with his brawn and the use of a wonderful lifting device he has in order to get them into the panga when it arrived. These batteries weigh about 150 lbs each so lifting them down from our boat into the panga without it would have been exceptionally difficult if not impossible.

The panga arrived, batteries loaded and we were off. The panga driver took off at high speed (as many do) and then made a sharp left turn to pick up another fare at Comilla. This is not unusual but when he again made a sharp “S” curve to come up to the restaurant dock the batteries flew off the seat across from me and one landed squarely on the top of my left foot. There I sat with a huge, deep gouge across my arch, convinced the bones were broken and wondering how I was going to pay for it. Chris, the panga driver and a couple people from the restaurant helped me off the boat and then Ana went into action. She got her pickup truck and drove Chris & I to the doctor’s office at the top of the hill. The doctor (who spoke no English), cleaned and bandaged the wound but explained to us that he thought the tendon might be torn or a bone broken and I would need to go to the hospital in Chihuatlan (about 15 miles away). Ana’s husband returned with the truck and drove Chris, Ana & I there but they quickly sent us on to Manzanillo. We sent Ana’s husband back to work and got a cab for the next leg (about another 13 miles) but Ana insisted on staying with us as our interpreter.

The Manzanillo ER was full and there was only one doctor so we waited for about 30 minutes before I was seen. As it turns out there were no broken bones and the tendon was fine so 8 or 9 stitches later they sent me home with 2 prescriptions to get filled. Total cost? $67 pesos (about $5 U.S.) for the hospital, $370 pesos ($27 US) for the prescriptions and $600 ($44 US) pesos for the cab rides to Manzanillo and back to Comilla. Ana wanted no payment at all for spending the day with us or for the gas used in their truck but we insisted on giving her a monetary gift anyway.

The care I received was excellent and the miniscule expense absolutely mind boggling. I can’t say enough good things about Mexico and her citizens.

2 comments:

DMC Friend said...

I am so sorry to hear about the Panga S-turn incident. If you must convalesce there are probably not a lot of better places than near or on a beach in Mexico.

larsongirl said...

For cryin' in the sink! I go away for 1 week and this is how yo do without me?!!!! Stay ahead of the pain with those pills.

Just got back from Juneau last night. Am trying to contact Carrie about the watermaker parts. Got the new Miracle Suit. Not sure if I like it. I think it may be a size too big!